2009年7月29日水曜日

A Book: Kushiel’s Dart : July 29, 2009


This is a fantasy story written in 2001 by Jacqueline Carey. Recently, it has been translated into Japanese and published here.

When I started reading, I thought I had bought the wrong book as the heroine was a courtesan. Reading further, I discovered that the story seemed to be about conspiracies in an aristocratic society. I can’t be absolutely certain because the first volume was divided in three parts, and currently only the first third has been translated into Japanese. Even so, the story is interesting.

I want to read the next one soon, but I don’t know when the other two parts will be released. I seem to need to read it in English, but it would be too difficult to read the story in it's original English language as there are too many coined words and "specialized" terms for physical pleasures. Therefore, the Japanese translation is more preferable as these terms have been translated into words more easily understood by Japanese readers.

Regardless, the amazing part of the story is the elimination of Christian morals. Japanese people originally don’t hold to the same kind of morals, so those who grew up in a Christian community would feel the story is more specific or unique than I do.


Koir, thanks for correcting my English.

2 件のコメント:

  1. Hi Yuri!

    I am collecting book covers of Jacqueline Carey on my little web site: www.jcbookcovers.drak.li

    Do you think you could help me with the japanese version? I neither can find more of the books nor can I read the title... and more questions are mentioned under http://www.jcbookcovers.drak.li/#japan

    Please, I am more than desperately looking for information about those books! :-)

    Thanks,
    Franziska from Germany

    返信削除
  2. Hallo,Franziska!

    I’m really sorry; I’m too late to answer!
    I didn’t notice you have written the comment.

    http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&n=465392&sort=relevancerank&index=books&field-author=%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%20%E3%82%B1%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC

    ジャクリーン ケアリー=Jacqueline Carey

    I think you would be able to get some photos of the books in this site. If you need the title in English, let me know.

    返信削除