2011年3月12日土曜日

Massive earthquakes occurred yesterday in Japan


Around 2:50 p.m. yesterday, an earthquake happened. I changed the TV channel to NHK as usual. I always watch NHK when an earthquake occurs.



The breaking news appeared on the top of the TV screen, and it said a massive earthquake had occurred.


Suddenly, the power went out and the TV turned off.


It was long-period oscillation, so I thought the epicenter was far from here.


I put my emergency belt bag on, took the radio and my cell phone, and left the house.


The ground kept shaking.


I’ve had many earthquakes here in Japan, but I’ve never this big.


I heard a car alarm from a vehicle left in a nearby parking lot.


The neighbors came out of their house.


We thought our house might collapse.


I looked up to the power poles and lines to check if they fell down. At the same time, I saw a passenger aircraft flying to the west. This was not the usual flight path, so I thought HANEDA airport must have been closed and the airplane had been diverted. My house is near the airport.


I learned that the main source was in the Pacific near the Tohoku area located in the east-north part of Japan.


I wanted to know if my family was safe, but the phone was not working.


I tried to email many times with my mobile, but I only succeeded twice before the battery power got too low.


I regretted that I hadn’t bought a small power-generating equipment to charge up my phone.


The blackout finished about 9:30 last night.


Luckily, all of my family members were safe.


My house doesn’t have any problems now.


However, I see the TV footage of the disastrous tsunami.


They say the number of missing is over 1300.


Now I don’t know what I can do.






Thank you.



Koir, thank you for correcting my English as always.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿